Archive

Archive for the ‘Works in Progress’ Category

Oh Unicode how I love and hate you.

June 20, 2011 3 comments

Unicode is a really great thing. It allows for a wide range of special characters and letters in different languages.

The problem is that is is messy to work with while programming especially when you want to create standardized code.
Anyway, I am working on a Linux terminal picture viewer probably because I’m enjoying using the terminal and sometimes need to see a picture file before copying it or moving it.
This presents a problem for text only terminals I need to view the image, especially if it has come from a digital camera with an odd name.

Here is the result of my tinkering you can see a standard ASCII version and a Unicode version using the braille letters as dithering patterns. Currently it is SFML powered C++. The image is the standard test image, “lena”.

So there you have it, a use for a very odd set of Unicode characters, the braille set.

Advertisements

Christmas ball photography hack WORKING!

June 15, 2011 19 comments

A $20 360 degree panorama solution.

Let me first say NO that pink coat is not mine. This was done at my parents’ house.

I’m very very pleased to day that today I was finally able to accomplish my dream of providing a cheap way for the average person to do special 3D 360 degree panorama. I found that if one simply shoots a spherical object from above, they can capture a whole 360 degrees worth of image data. I used this cheap ( and admittedly crappy Christmas tree ball). To do this I disabled the camera’s flash, set a timer for 10 seconds, and moved my tripod so the ball was in full view. I then stepped back and allowed the ball and camera to do their magic. This is the result, look at all that image data tucked away inside there! The FINAL 360 degree product is at the very bottom if you don’t like to read.

A top down shot of a common Christmas ball.

Now I used GIMP to convert the image from a polar map to a normal rectangle. The result will look squished but we’ll fix that.

Be SURE to crop your image first so the sphere is in the center and the image is square not rectangular.

Now we are ready to begin the magic.

Select

Filters -> Distorts -> Polar Coordinates

Uncheck “To Polar” Your image should unfold into a square.

This is the result.

You can see that we are getting there. Now I went to Image -> Scale Image and scailed the width by a factor of 314 % (This is PI times the height!).

I’m not sure that that is the correct width, readers please correct me if my math is incorrect.

Here is the final result, please keep in mind this is a proof of concept. The Christmas ball had many imperfections in the surface. You can probably get amazing results with one of those half dome safety mirrors like retail stores use and a professional camera. I’m just a simple inventor, this is probably a 15 dollar project if you have the camera already. According to one commenter, my final picture might be out of proportion please read the comments.

Please readers, feel free to correct, comment, and improve on my methods.

Candidate for wire frame tank model.

June 6, 2011 1 comment

Here is a sort of concept design for what the tanks in my upcoming game might look like. I’ll probably have to hand code these points.

Categories: Works in Progress

Time to start a new project!

June 4, 2011 1 comment

Currently, I am starting work on a game that looks and plays a bit like the Atari classic Battlezone.

It will be monochrome and composed of only wire frame shapes.

I don’t plan on making a port of the game but rather working on creating a unique game that looks as if it was from the same era of design. Being a proud Vectrex owner, I know what true vector lines look like. To create this effect the final product will need to be high enough resolution to blur our the chunky pixel lines then I’ll apply additive blending to complete the feel. Darn shame vector displays fell out of favor. Just a simple first screen of what I DO have for now. Let me also clear something up, yesterday I talked about blurring and such being bad in “retro” games. Vector games should be high resolution and blurry to achieve the effect of not being raster (as vector line display games are NOT).

EARLY shot. Yes I still need enemy tanks and an aiming reticle.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’ll keep you posted…

Categories: Works in Progress